Monday, October 21, 2019

Hacktoberfest: WIP

Hacktoberfest, week 3.

Only a few days left, and I just submitted my third PR.

I was considering giving home-assistant another go, as I mentioned in my previous post, but there are so many issues out there that I thought that maybe it wasn't worth it.

For my first issue, I enhanced the capabilities of CDOT's Dashboard, and I decided to take on the next related issue for that part of the project: update the front-end.

I updated the front-end with a new panel that shows pull requests that are pending for review. Hopefully this new panel will help the team keep track of pull requests and it'll speed up the workflow.

One of my goals for this Hacktoberfest was to improve my web development skills, and this issue was going to be my opportunity to do that. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out the way I was expecting. I spent very little time writing React and most of the time doing CSS. Yes, it gave me the the chance to learn some new CSS tricks, but it also helped me remember why I've been putting off improving my web development skills and why I've always thought that CSS is a creation of the devil.

Dashboard with the new panel

My pull request has been accepted and merged, so I'm expecting to see the new panel up and running any time soon (to be honest, that's very exciting!).

So far, Hacktoberfest has been a really enjoyable and amazing learning experience, and I'm almost sad that it's going to be over in a week. I really want it to become a yearly tradition, if time permits.

As usual, good hacking and have fun!


Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment