Sunday, October 27, 2019

Hacktoberfest: Documentation

We're in the last week of Hacktoberfest!



So far, participating in Hacktoberfest has been great. I've been able to contribute to very different projects and work towards the goals I had set for myself.

My work on Dashboard allowed me to improve my web skills (not as much as I'd have liked, but still) and collaborate in a project that has been around for some time. It's not a big project, but it's a very interesting one because of all the different components that it has and how useful it is for the people involved in it.

PenguinV was my chance to collaborate in a project that I really like, and also a great opportunity to face a real, scary challenge. Having to contribute using OpenCL, something I wasn't familiar with at all before, was one of those things than can easily make you think that you shouldn't be in this field.

For my last contribution, I wanted to work on PenguinV again, but since we're at the end of the month and the PenguinV community hasn't responded (yet) when I told them that I wanted to work on some issues, I decided to look around to see if I could find some other interesting projects.

And I found ImCompressor. ImCompressor is an image processor that works with lossy and lossless compression. What I found interesting about this project is the fact that it's a very young one. A small group of developers started it a month ago. All my other contributions during Hacktoberfest were related to bigger projects that have been around for a while, so I thought it could be interesting to contribute to a young project and maybe become a core part of it. 

When I found the project, they were getting ready to release version 0.8, so since there wasn't much that I could offer (remember, it's a very young project), I mentioned to the team that my first language is Spanish and that I could add a Spanish translation. They welcomed the idea, and I thought it was a good way to introduce myself, getting familiar with the project, and keep an eye on new issues popping up so I could work on them and become a main contributor.

Oh, before I forget, when I started the translation I realized the ImCompressor team uses Poedit, a cross-platform, open source, translation editor. Another interesting project, I also want to keep an eye on it and maybe see if I can contribute to it in the future.

I like ImCompressor. I've had issues with lossless JPEGS in the past, and I think this project could help many people. I hope it won't turn out to be one of those many projects that dies a few months after being born.

Well, and that's all for this month. As I said in another post, I really want Hacktoberfest to become a yearly tradition, but not the only excuse to keep collaborating with open source projects.

As usual, good hacking and have fun!

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment