Saturday, October 5, 2019

Hacktoberfest: good first issue

It's Hacktoberfest time!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm very excited about Hacktoberfest, not only because I'll be able to contribute to some cool open source project, but also because I'll have the chance to improve  and test my skills, and maybe try to take on some scary project that will force me to learn and get familiar with new technologies.

My intention was to work on some issues that I found interesting and relevant for the type of skills that I'd like to develop, and also getting familiar with some interesting projects.

Unfortunately, things rarely go the way you want in software development, so I had to come up with a plan B for my very first Hacktoberfest issue.

At first, I wanted to work on an issue in the home-assistant project, but I had some problems setting up the development environment, and since they haven't replied yet, I thought I could work on something else while I wait for their advice.

Since I was running out of time, and all the other issues that I wanted to work on require more than a couple of days of coding, I turned to a project that I've worked on before, knowing that I could find some interesting issues that I could fix within the available time that I had.

This project is Dashboard, maintained by CDOT's RAs.

Dashboard project (running in debug mode with fake data)

Dashboard displays information about the projects that are currently in development at CDOT, along with some infrastructure information and scheduled events. It populates some of the panels with data fetched from Github using Github's API.
For the PR Reminder panel (WIP) and the Help Wanted panel (coming soon), it was necessary to filter some of the data fetched from Github's API so the only issues and pull requests used to populate those 2 panels would be the ones with the appropriate labels. The issue that I worked on specifically requested filtering out issues that didn't have the Help Wanted label and also making sure that all the used issues included a priority label so they could be appropriately sorted.

It was a quick fix, but a very important one since the Help Wanted panel will be up soon (that's another issue I'd like to work on for Hacktoberfest), and all the RAs at CDOT will be able to have updated and sorted information about issues that might need help (hence the Help Wanted label) and/or pull requests that need review.

Hopefully, I'll be able to work on home-assistant's issue next week, but if I can't, I might take on a penguinV's issue that will help me get familiar with their code base and maybe I'll be able to contribute more in the future.

So, good hacking and have fun!

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment