Friday, September 27, 2019

Hacktoberfest!


Hacktoberfest is around the corner, and as a software developer interested in open source, it’s a very exciting time!

It’s my first time participating in Hacktoberfest, I have no idea about how it’s going to be like or the type of work that I’ll be doing. Whatever happens, I have 2 clear goals that I’ll try to accomplish: improving my web development skills and facing a scary challenge.

I’ve been a developer for some time now, but because of the circumstances of the work I had to do, I didn’t have a chance to develop my web skills as much as I would’ve like to. Since the web is the future, I think having a solid knowledge of web technologies is crucial to be part of the software development community, and collaborating in a project heavily web-based will help me acquire the necessary knowledge to start feeling comfortable with web technologies. Also, I’ve been lucky (or “lucky”) so far because all the projects that I’ve been involved with were accessible in one way or another. With accessible, I mean that I was able to adapt to them, learning and developing the necessary skills to be able to contribute to them. Hacktoberfest gives me the chance to try to find something potentially scary that will require the best of my abilities to succeed. I don’t know if I’ll be able to overcome a real scary challenge, but I think facing one is something that every developer should go through every now and then.

These are the issues that I’d like to address:

There’s a project started and maintained by CDOT RA’s called Dahsboard that has been in development for some time, and it has a fair amount of issues related to web technologies that would definitely help me improve my react skills (I’ve never done anything in react before).
From that project, I want to take on these 2 issues: Pull Request reminder and Coding Style Standards.

Another interesting project that I’d like to work on is PenguinV. As their creators describe it, "PenguinV is a simple and fast C++ image processing library with focus on heterogeneous systems." The issue I’d like to work on is not particularly exciting, but I think it’s going to help me get familiar with the code and eventually start trying to take on more relevant issues and really contribute to the project.

Wish me luck!
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment