Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Telescope: Elasticsearch and Automatic Deployment (Part 2)

I mentioned in my previous post that I started working on adding Elasticsearch and automatic deployment to Telescope, and because of some minor problems, I couldn't include them in our 0.7 release.
But yes, I managed to fix all the problems for 0.8, and now they're part of Telescope!

For 0.8, I also added a new nested query for GraphQL. This new query returns information about a feed and all the posts related to it, all in one request. I think there will be some cases once we fully implement a search functionality that will benefit from this new query.

I also had the chance to briefly work with @Silvyre on adding graphql-passport to Telescope. It turned out to be a bit trickier than we expected, but @Silvyre was determined to get it ready for 0.8, and thanks to his big effort graphql-passport is now part of Telescope.

Elasticsearch has become a core part of the project, and it was very important to add documentation about installation and deployment for this new piece. The main idea was to avoid blocking developers that are not familiar with Elasticsearch, so I added new documentation on the different ways to install and use Elasticsearch locally, and how to test it.

@c3ho and I spent some time working on our nginx settings so we could get nginx to serve Telescope's static content and also enable caching for our endpoints (for this issue). We managed to get those 2 pieces to work, but since I still wanted to review a couple of things I thought it was better to leave this for 0.9.


Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment